Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The How and Why of Nature Study


Every week we do Nature Study, this in and of itself has been one of the most challenging subjects for our homeschooling. The topic is not difficult, and yet I really never 'studied' the world around me before. I understand that in order to encourage our children's natural curiosity of the world around us I need to have them participate in exploring and studying the earth. The weeks just seem so packed, we have math and science and of course the reading lists and everything else that we are doing...and I think that many a time I could convince myself that we were 'learning' about these topics in our books.
So lots of times there have been missed opportunities, and weeks gone by without the 'nature walk' and yet I continue to be drawn back to this aspect of schooling time and again.

So this year we are purposing to go out..rain or shine, and explore God's Creation...and every time we do something special happens. The week seems to slow down, the smiles come out and eyes sparkle. So, I ask myself...how could I miss this?

I have found a few resources that are amazing for nature study...you can go HERE to do the outdoor challenge each week. My best resource for Nature study has to be THIS book from Anna Botsford Comstock: A Handbook Of Nature Study. Enjoy!

No comments: